Friday, March 3, 2017

Stage Crew: The Greatest Evil of All Evils to Ever Evil

This week, I learned that there’s something to be said about practice and hands on activity. For the first time over the duration of this project, I actually got to play a real game. While I’ve always regarded myself as more of the listen/read and remember type, over the course of this week I learned just how refreshing it is to abandon the text books and quizlets to just play the game and have fun.

Image result for little mermaid gifsYou know what, let me just revise that statement because it’s not entirely true. There wasn’t really any fun involved, it was more stress and bad decisions made late at night. While the table and I have buried the hatchet and no longer have a personal vendetta against one another, a new and more formidable opponent has risen in its place…. stage crew (cue dramatic music and lightning flashes).
                                            
This entire week is aptly deemed Hell Week, which I learned very quickly has earned its name through days of no sleep and torturous run throughs. Don’t get me wrong, I love the play and think it’s going to be absolutely positively fantastic (buy tickets!), but it’s taken the time I had allotted for billiards and zapped it down to practically nothing. Every day this week I’ve arrived at school at seven, finished my school day, and worked on something or other until about 9:30, when I am finally able to go home. From then on I do my homework (which takes forever to do) until about maybe 10 or 11:30 before I literally fall asleep standing up, and repeat it for the next day. Sometimes I think it would be better to be in house management, but then I realize they have to talk to people and quickly force that thought out of my head and go back to reality. 

Image result for little mermaid gifs
Now that I have all of your sympathy (the pathos is real), I figured I’d get to the part you’re all wondering about, the stress and bad decisions made late at night. So as I’ve mentioned before, my family are all billiards all-stars. I am also very good at manipulating people to help me, so I may have forced them to pick one poor unfortunate soul to stay up with me and play pool at like 11 at night. We didn’t play for long, but since my parents apparently are either really really nice to me (thanks mom and dad) or don’t need sleep, I was able to squeeze in the bare minimum of practicing.
                               
Image result for little mermaid family  gifs
This is when my problems started. As you can probably see when I come into school with a blank stare and practically fall asleep in class, I’m very tired. However, this tiredness is multiplied tenfold late at night when I’ve been securing mermaid tails or seahorse heads all night. At one point in the night I was handed a blue Gatorade because I was dying of thirst, but instead of drinking it I accidentally dropped it as soon as I had (not really) possession (in football I assume they would regard it as an incomplete pass), leading to a new blue stain on our rug. Then last night I forgot that you had to actually aim the ball at your set of balls and not the other players, and kind of just hit it into nowhere before helping myself lose.
                    Image result for sebastian little mermaid gifs
The stress part came in earlier, but was magnified at about the same time. When I’m tired or stressed my friends tend to avoid me (this is why I have no friends) because I get very annoyed very quickly. Someone might make a perfectly good natured joke but I’m so tired I hear it wrong, and feel like I’m being insulted which most of the time isn’t the case. Then add that to the spirit of familial competition, and you have a lot of tension, which is always a fun time.
                                          Image result for sebastian little mermaid gifs

At this point, I’m not sure I’ll ever win, but I guess we’ll find out in later weeks when we get to my favorite topic and goal, cutthroat billiards. Until the week three check in, see you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment